Planting Perennials that Attract Butterflies
Almost anything that blooms in the summer will attract butterflies. The most difficult part of planting to attract butterflies is narrowing down the choices.
To get started ask yourself these questions and choose the plants that best suit your area:
· How tall do you want the plant to get?
· Does your area have sun, shade, or part sun, and what direction does it face?
· Do you want an evergreen or leafy plant?
· Do you have any special wishes for the plant – color, blooms, etc.
Choosing native plants is always a good option.
Some common perennials that are butterfly favorites include
· Butterfly weed (Asclepias) - Bright orange blooms, grow app. 2’
· Blazing star (Liatris)- Spikes of lavender blooms, grow app. 2’
· Cone flowers (Echinacea) – Come in multiple colors and sizes
· Black Eyed Susans (Rudbeckia) – Bright yellow with brown centers
· Bee Balm (Monarda) – Come in multiple colors and sizes
· Cardinal Flower (Lobelia) –Bright red blooms, grows 3’
· False Sunflower(Heliopsis) – Bright yellow flowers, grows 3’
· Hyssop (Agastache) – Blue violet spikes , grows 3’
· Phlox – Come in multiple colors and sizes
· Sedums – Come in multiple colors and sizes